July-August 1998 Newsletter
Tom’s Top 10 Reasons To Ride A Bike To Work
by Tom Knight
- Bicycling is FUN. Balancing yourself on a potentially dangerous two-wheeled contraption and moving forward at a high rate of speed is entertaining.
- Commuting is economical. Experience demonstrates that you can ride to work for about $75 per year in parts and maintenance costs. Compare that to operating a car.
- You can be forever fit, and members of the complimentary sex will compliment you forever. Give that hated wind-trainer away!
- You mind can become as fit as your body. You will have unrestricted views of some awe-inspiring sunrises and cloud formation. You will arrive for work happy, having a mental edge on everyone else, and arrive home relaxed after pedaling away the day’s stress.
- Your overall health will improve. The extra miles combined with the mental health might be the prescription you need to lower that body weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
- You will take a positive step toward conserving resources and reducing pollution.
- You will set a good example for the next generation of cyclists.
- Bicycle commuting will give you a good excuse to buy a new bike!
- Others may find buying gifts for you easier. You might receive really nice things you might never buy for yourself, like Gore-Tex gloves, seal skin socks, and other weird stuff.
- The best reason to ride your bike to work is — JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN! Rejoice in the good health you are blessed with, and put that God-given good health to good use!
See you out there!