December 1998 Rides & Events
#1 Primarily flat
Pace Ratings: (average speed)
#2 Mostly flat with some hills, perhaps 1/3 of total distance is hills
#3 Rolling hills
#4 Rolling with occasional steep hills. Difficult!
A Pace = 8-10 miles/hour average
B Pace = 10-13 miles/hour average
C Pace = 13-15 miles/hour average
D Pace = 15-18 miles/hour average
E Pace = 18+ miles/hour average
ANSI- or Snell-approved helmets are required
Wednesday, December 2
- 10:00 am - 20/30 mi. #3. All Paces. Meet at Iroquois Park - near amphitheater entrance on New Cut Road. RC: Len “happily married” Ferryman, 502-634-9007.
Saturday, December 5
- 9:00 am - 30/60 mi. #3. Long Run Park near tennis courts. RC: Bill Pustow, 502-245-1349. Cancelled if below 28 degrees, snow or rain at ride time. Check with RC: to be sure.
- 6:30 pm - 1998 Annual Awards Banquet. Louisville Zoo. Check LBC Newsletter, web site or call Earl Jones, 502-895-4850, for more info. Registration deadline is November 29. Cost is $18 per person. Don’t miss this event at the new and exciting African Outpost. Non-human visitors are possible.
Sunday, December 6
- 10:00 am - Gil’s Red Baron Ride! The famous WWI flying ace takes to the skies again at the Bowman Field Terminal. More fun than should be allowed. Road and MTBs. RC: Gil Morris, 502-239-7921. Come and thank Gil for all he does for the Club!
Wednesday, December 9
- 10:00 am - Coffee Ride. 20 mi. #3. All paces. Heine Bros. Coffee Shop on Chenoweth Lane just north of Westport Rd. in St. Matthews. A day without caffeine is like a day without sonny. RC: Sonny Neurath, 502-893-2306.
Sunday, December 13
- 11:00 am - Hot Chocolate Ride! 20/30 mi. #3. St. Matthews Baptist Church, Nanz Ave. Hot Chocolate after ride. RCs and hosts: Alan Darby and Ellen Mueller, 502-895-4904.
Wednesday, December 16
- 10:00 am - 25-30 mi. #3. All pace levels. Another “Scottish Pride” ride. 930 Franklin Street, Butchertown. RC: Alison Ewart, 502-584-4222.
Saturday, December 19
- 9:00 am - 30/60 mi. #3. Long Run Park near tennis courts. RC: Bill Pustow, 502-245-1349. Cancelled if below 28 degrees, snow or rain at ride time. Check with ride captain ahead of time.
Sunday, December 20
Wednesday, December 23
- 10:00 am - 20-25 mi. #3. All paces. Christmas Ride -- make room for the feast! Lunch afterwards. Rain or shine, we will dine, even if ride cancelled. 5622 Elmer Lane. RC: Marge Johannemann, 502-368-6338.
Friday, December 25
- 12:00 pm - Enjoy the Holidays with family and friends! No rides on December 25 through 27. Adjust that new bike you got!
Wednesday, December 30
Friday, January 1
- 11:00 am - Polar Bear Ride. 15/25 mi. #2/#3. Highland Cycle, 1737 Bardstown Rd. Welcome 1999 and warm up after the ride. RC: Gil and Ted Morris, 502-239-7921.
Saturday, January 2
- 2:00 pm - Family/Recreational Ride on the RiverWalk. 15 mi. #1. Meet at the river near foot of Second Street. RC: Adrian Freund, 502-231-1083. Snow, rain or temperature below 35 degrees cancels ride.