July-August 2003 Newsletter
The OKHT Summer Update
by Kathy Schmitt, OKHT Director
The 26th Annual OKHT is in full swing. You have probably
received your brochure by now (if not, you will soon) or you
may register for this fun event on-line at
procrastinate — register early to get in on all the fun (and save
As always, it takes the efforts of approximately 200 people to
pull off this event successfully. We have lots of opportunity for
folks to volunteer and I hope that you will volunteer to do at
least what you did last year if not more. We’ve got a surprise
event in store for all OKHT volunteers (besides the benefit of
riding for FREE!). Please consider this when our Volunteer
Coordinators call you in the next couple of months.
Team OKHT has spent an entire year planning and we’ve got
lots of great events in store for OKHT participants.
- Supporting Sponsor Scheller’s Fitness & Cycling will
once again donate a new 2003 Road Bike. Raffle tickets will be
sold to benefit the Brain Injury Association of Kentucky. Buy
lots of raffle tickets!
- Supporting Sponsor Baptist East/Milestone Wellness Center
will offer yoga classes and gentle stretching to help you wind
down on Saturday after the ride. These classes are available to
registered riders on the lawn at Spalding Hall.
- Supporting Sponsor Buffalo Trace Distillery will again
provide their fine bourbon for sampling at the bourbon tasting.
In addition, they have commissioned their advertising agency to
create the design for the 2003 OKHT jersey. More information to
- Students and staff of the Louisville School of Massage
will be on hand to relieve your tired, overworked muscles. They
will be offering complimentary massage to registered riders on
the lawn at Spalding Hall from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- The Juggernaut Jug Band will be on hand to entertain us
Saturday evening with that “Crazy Jug Band Sound ” on the beautiful
tree-lined lawn at Spalding Hall.
- New - Sunday One-Day Ride to the Cookie Stop and Back!
The Saturday one-day is no longer an option.
- The Swope Family Dealerships of Hardin County has joined
OKHT as a Product Sponsor and will sponsor the narrated carriage
ride around Bardstown.
- Time Trial Training Practice has started every Tuesday
evening beginning June 17th at 6:30 p.m. at Caesar’s west side
parking lot. See www.okht.org
for more information.
- New mandatory Safety Initiatives in place for 2003 OKHT
(especially for cyclists under the age of 18).
- New Product Sponsor -- Snappy Signs and Banners will
provide signage for our event.
- Xavier’s Restaurant will provide an “all-you-can-eat”
- Mollie Friebert and her hammered dulcimer will return for
our COOKIE stop.
- Dolls Market has joined the OKHT as a Product Sponsor and
will provide the fruit for the SAG stops.
- Rainbow Blossom is another new Product Sponsor and will
provide bread for our SAG stops.
- King Provisions will provide drinking cups for our SAG stops.
- Coppertone Oil-Free Faces Sunscreen has been donated for
our OKHT cyclists.
- Time Trial has been dedicated to the memory of Texas cycling
legend Larry Schwartz who died on May 4, 2003. Read more about
Larry at www.okht.org.
In the meantime:
- Support and thank our new and returning sponsors.
- Promote the ride.
- Start baking your cookies for the cookie stop ((and freeze).
- Volunteer when we call.
- Be safe while cycling this summer!
- Contact Earl Jones if you are interested in being the new OKHT
Director in 2004.
PREVIOUS ARTICLE |
LBC home |
Copyright ©2003 Louisville Wheelmen. All rights reserved.
contact the webmaster for question and/or comment about this page.
web posted: 14 July 2003
last updated: 15 July 2003