2011 LOUISVILLE BICYCLE CLUB
NEW RIDER / BIKE HANDLING CLASSES
Monday Evenings in May, June, July and August
Wednesday Evenings in June and July
6:15 PM – 9:00 PM
SESSION 1: MONDAYS, MAY 2 THROUGH JUNE 27
YELLOW PARKING LOT, WATERFRONT PARK
SESSION 2: WEDNESDAYS, JUNE 1 THROUGH JULY 20
AMPHITHEATER PARKING LOT, IROQUOIS PARK
SESSION 3: MONDAYS, JULY 11 THROUGH AUGUST 29
4900 BOWLING BOULEVARD
(NEXT TO BAPTIST EAST/MILESTONE)
TOPICS TO BE COVERED INCLUDE:
||ABC QUICK CHECK: Things to do before every ride
||BIKE SIZING: Does it fit you?
||TOOLS AND BASIC REPAIRS: What to carry and what to do with it when you need it
||HELMET SELECTION AND FIT, CLOTHING AND ACCESSORIES, NUTRITION AND HYDRATION
||PARKING LOT DRILLS, PART I: basic riding skills to crash avoidance maneuvers
||PARKING LOT DRILLS, PART II: crash avoidance skills
||COPING WITH THE RIDE: gearing and shifting, proper cadence
||FIVE LAYERS OF SAFETY
||TRAFFIC RULES & LANE POSITIONING
||WRITTEN AND ROAD TESTS AND EVALUATION
PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND ALL CLASSES OF ONE SESSION.
MAKING UP CLASSES IN ALTERNATE SESSIONS IS DIFFICULT.
EVERY CLASS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
THESE FREE CLASSES ARE SPONSORED BY THE LOUISVILLE BICYCLE CLUB IN SUPPORT OF THE MAYOR’S HEALTHY HOMETOWN MOVEMENT AND THE LEAGUE OF AMERICAN BICYCLISTS’ “BIKE FRIENDLY COMMUNITY” PROGRAM
- One hour of instruction by seasoned riders followed by practice on your bike.
- An easy, 5 or 12 mile “practice” ride with traffic, signals, stop signs, lights, busy roads, park roads, and subdivision streets.
- Class participants are split into smaller groups of similar ability with instructors in the front and rear of each group. Individual instruction / assistance is provided if needed.
- Rest stops if and when needed – nobody gets dropped or left behind.
- Follow-up discussion and evaluation after the rides.
- Certificates of Completion will be awarded to participants who attend six of the eight sessions AND pass the written and road tests.
- Take-Home educational material provided to all participants.
For more details, contact Tom Armstrong at 502-523-9581 or email@example.com
Copyright ©1995-2008 Louisville Wheelmen. All rights reserved.
Contact the for comments/questions.
last updated: 20 April 2010
This site is never browser-specific. Use your favorite browser!